October 14, 2009

Stockholm Pride Party Oct 09



Last Saturday there was a party for all of us who had worked as volunteers at Stockholm Pride 2009. The party was at a historic resturant/dance hall called Nalen. Here the big names in jazz played in the 40s and 50s and the Beatles played here in the 60s. So it's a placed filled with history , music and joy.

It was great to meet the friends I worked with at Pride House as well as new friends that had worked in Pride Park or Pride Garden. The most surprising was a guy who works at PressbyrÄn (a nation wide chain of outlets for magazine, tobacco, newspaper and more. They can be found at most subway, train and bus stations) I have bought tobacco from him for years and had no idea he is gay.

As expected we were a motley crew. All ages, sexual preferences, genders and dress styles were present. The ones closest to my heart was the young punkish/gothish kids. I love their rebelliousness and in your face attitude.

I had planned on dressing in a a black dress designed by Madonna for HM. But in the chaos that is my flat I couldn't find it so I opted for leather. Black leather boots with a bit of a heel, black seemed stockings, black knee length leather skirt, black T-shirt with the text "When the Goddess made this body she was showing off" and over it all an old black leather biker jacket.

(I shouldn't wear reading glasses so far down on the nose. It makes my nose look even bigger than it is.)


We were treated to a delicious dish with chicken breast, couscous and veggies, and of course there were alternatives for vegetarians and for those with allergies. Everyone got a ticket for a drink of their choice, mine was a glass of red wine. And if you completed a questionnaire you got one more drink ticket. If you wanted more the prices in the bar  were very reasonable.


The main entertainment was in the karaoke room. Some of the "performers" were really good, it was obvious they had rehearsed both text and choreography beforehand. Some were so bad that it was almost impossible to guess what they were singing. But that is the charm of watching karaoke, right? The day before I had promised some friends that I would sing if the karaoke machine had Melissa Etheridge's "I can drive while you sleep". I was sure they wouldn't have it. I was wrong! But I still refused, to shy to sing on stage. But who knows what would have happened if I stayed longer and had a few more drinks?

So what about LGBT issues? Well, it was a party after all. But I had some interesting conversations on a whole range of topics. And every opportunity I got I suggested that Kate Bornstein should be invited to Stockholm Pride 2010. I also offered to work in the program committee and on anything trans related. What will come of that remains to be seen.

All in all I had a great evening with a bunch of like minded queers, gays and lesbians. And I finish this post with some pictures of two cuties  that embodies what being out, proud and happy is all about.


 
 


Hugs, kisses, love and lashes until next time
Caisa   


No comments:

Post a Comment