September 19, 2009

Repost of "Why Us Old Cougars Know More" in piratespeak



about music than ye kids o' today.

I bloged about this theme on me Swedish blog http://caisa.livejournal.com an' be asked t' write somethin' similar in English. Ahoy Christina! 







Oh, BTW, th' jacket I wear on this pic, taken today, be th' one mentioned in me previous blog. Th' one me mother made way aft when.

So gather around children an' harken as I tell ye about how 't be in th' olden days, aft in th' sixties. I live in a country way up North called Sweden an' at that time in a town called Gothenburg. We had nay mp3 players an' nay computers. Th' net be somethin' th' US military had jus' started playin' wi'. What we had be record players, radio an' TV t' satisfy our cravin' fer music. Th' TV had only one channel an' if we be lucky they showed a program called Oppopoppa once a moon. Th' records be quite expensive an' we could only afford singles. Th' latest singles be only available in two stores in th' city. Which leaves us wi' th' radio. Th' state had a monopoly on broadcastin' (which later on led me t' be a part o' th' portwing/anarchist swashbuckler radio "Radio 88" but that`s another story that I might come aft t' some tide. An' they be kind enough t' play pop/rock fer a whole hour ever' tides tide, an' thar be th' top list "Tio i topp" fer an hour on Saturdays.

An' then thar be Radio Luxemburg. We gathered in th' evenings in spots that usually be good fer recivin'. Providin' someone ha managed t' sneak a transistor radio ou' o' th' house. Th' quality o' th' sound be rather poor, but they be playin' th' very latest from England.

So t' hear th' music we wanted we had t' listen t' all sorts o' music that be played on th' radio. 't could be anythin', but mostly 't be Swedish an' English popular music from th' twenties t' th' fifties. Some light jazz, operettas, an' classical music be also heard now an' ag'in. An', aye, we hated this wi' a wannion.

But as I talk music wi' young swabbies today I reckon that 't had gi'en me a groundin' in musical history an' different genres o' music. A groundin' that came without me e'en tryin' or e'en wantin' t' learn.

Today, wi' chestfulls o' stations t' chose from, on th' air an' on th' net, Ye can opt fer jus' listen t' th' kind o' music ye already like. Thus missin' ou' on somethin' ye might like.

Dasn't misunderstand me. I dasn't want th' bad old days aft. Th' fantastic availability o' music be a good thin' (TM). But, an' this might be illegal 'ere ye live, download a wee torrents wi' music ye dasn't usually listen t'. Or, better yet, get an account wi' a usenet ser'er an' look around th' alt.binary.music an' download anythin' that might interest ye. Ye might be surprised! I found some rare queer blues recordings from th' twenties an' thirties.

Wi' love an' kisses till next time.
Caisa

No comments:

Post a Comment