May 24, 2009

Transsexual kids

There have been a lot on the net lately about the 8 y o boy who insists that he is a girl. Her mother is now letting her go to school dressed as the girl she is. I think that's GREAT! Unfortunately her school seems to be of a different opinion.

This reminds me of an incident about two years ago. I was working in a café in Stockholm. Even if I'm fairly passable my voice makes it obvious that I was born male. This particular day a father and his two children, a boy and a girl, sat at a table. After a while he came up to me and said. "I'm sorry but I have ask this. My daughter wonders if you are a boy or a girl." I answered, turning to the children "I'm a boy who is changing into a girl." The girl smiled and started in on her ice cream. "She have insisted since she was about three that she is a boy." the father said. "And we don't really know what to do. We just want her to be happy." I told him that he should talk to the clinic for sex change at Karolinska. As they were leaving the girl turned in the door and waved goodbye to me, a happy smile on her face.

I have no idea what happened after that but I hope she still is happy and allowed to be her/himself.

1 comment: